We’re adults. The last thing we want after a long day is more stress in the place we come to unwind. In our efforts to bring everyone (including ourselves) an enjoyable Minecraft experience, we request that the following be observed:
Breaking these rules will result in an immediate and permanent ban.
- All players must be 18 years of age or older - that's the whole "Adult Minecraft Server" bit.
- No Griefing - Breaking or placing blocks within another player's clearly defined area is strictly prohibited. This is true even in PvP and for seemingly abandoned builds - if it's not yours, don't touch it.
- No Client Mods/Exploits - Client modifications (other than Optifine) or exploits to the game are not allowed. (forge, lightloader, flying, speed, x-ray, item duplication etc.)
- No Advertising/Spam - No advertising servers/websites/mods in any chat or spamming messages.
- Common sense/maturity - This is a game. Be respectful, have fun, don't rage, don't participate in drama, don't harass people, mind the server conventions, etc.
PvP is enabled by default, but consent must be obtained. You have the ability to disable PvP within your residence if desired and can also post a sign at your property entrance with your preferences. You still cannot spawn camp or grief anywhere. If a player does not consent you are responsible for returning their inventory even if you lost it. Any repeated killing of players without consent will be considered harassing and you will be banned.
These are some policies we have come to expect as a community. These aim to cover some of the more common actions that would be perceived as disrespectful to both the community and individuals, but they are by no means comprehensive. They generally do not result in an immediate ban and are instead resolved on a case-by-case basis.
Respect for the community
- Be mature adults. This server is meant to be drama-free. Anyone participating in word-sniping, bickering, pettiness, etc. will be kicked on the spot. Insistence on participation in drama will result in a ban. If you have an issue with someone who is not explicitly breaking one of our rules listed here, grow up and learn to /ignore.
- We are not in the habit of policing chat, but some words and sentiments have no place in conversation other than to discriminate or inflame. Be respectful. Those intent on creating a toxic environment will be banned.
- Looting any kind is strictly prohibited in or near any well-defined player bases. It doesn't matter if the player is inactive or has containers set to true in their residence or doesn't have a residence at all. If it's not yours, don't touch it. That said, you should still protect your stuff. We can only roll things back so far, so if your stuff is unprotected and you've been offline a while and someone breaks the looting rules, you may have no recourse. Looting is only allowed:
- In the wilderness, well away from any residences or developed areas. Unprotected mining outposts in the resource worlds, for example, are fair game. That said, while looting an unlocked chest is allowed, you can not break any blocks to get to it. That would be griefing.
- If the owner specifically grants permission for it. Burden of proof of permission falls to the looter.
- Even in cases of legal looting, don't be greedy and wipe the person out. This is still a community and we still need to be respectful.
- Don't AFK for extended periods of time, even if Diamond rank. This takes up server resources and compromises mob spawning for everyone else in the world. If you aren't actively playing the game then log out. Attempting to get around AFK timers with minecarts or boats, etc. will result in a kick and/or a ban
- English only, please - including all chat channels and private messages. While we celebrate the many cultures our server represents, our already loosely-moderated chat is impossible to manage in multiple languages. Even if you want to swear at that creeper that killed you while AFK, do it in English.
- We're cool with using one alt when it comes to helping with builds and even getting a second island on SkyBlock. If you're a member in good standing who'd like to bring on your alt, please fill out a member application for the account (a second forum account isn't necessary) and just let one of the admins know. We're not cool with alts if they're being used for grinding/afking or for allowing other players to bypass the application process. Both of your accounts will be responsible for the actions of your alt. And no, sorry, your alt will not be put into spectator mode.
Farms & redstone
- Don't cause lag with excessive TNT, entities (farm harvests, ore mining), etc. All things in moderation. Be aware that our lag monitor will cancel large events, so you can lose items if harvesting/mining large quantities in mass, and these will not be replaced by staff. Players who create builds with the intent to lag or crash the server will be banned.
- Don't run high-frequency clocks. All redstone clocks must have an “off switch”. Again, this takes up server resources and causes others to lag. If you need a clock make sure it's running at a reasonably slow tick rate to avoid annoying everyone else, and never leave it running if you're not around.
- While still robust in its own right, the BadWolfMC Beta server doesn't have nearly the resources devoted to it as BadWolfMC Alpha, and thus the rules regarding redstone are far more strict: Simple contraptions can still be made, but any sort of redstone, whether clock or tick-update based (e.g. plant farms), should never be left unattended and certainly never left running. Devices found running unattended on the Beta server will be removed without warning.
- Please be moderate with your hopper use, as these can create more lag than a running clock. We use a hopper timings limiter (tuned slightly higher on Beta than on Alpha), and large amounts of items dumped into a hopper system will likely result in a clog or severely slowed transfers. Instead, for any item inputs into a hopper system, we recommend setting a single chest on top of the input hopper so items go in one at a time. Any excessive hopper use will be removed, with a warning on Alpha, and without a warning on Beta.
- Keep farms and mob grinders to sane levels, with no more than 1 farm per mob type (double spawners are ok). Same as with AFKing and clocks, a large amount of mobs/animals causes lag for everyone on the server and reduces the number of spawns for everyone else. 50 mobs/animals equals one player in server resources, so we have set a limit for most mob types of 50 per area. Any entities beyond that risk automatic or manual removal, and we will appreciate it if players themselves manage entities -- if staff need to intervene we will be much less choosy.
- While not strictly kosher, we don't mind looking the other way when it comes to those rather popular AFK fish farms -- with some important conditions:
- Fish farms using note blocks or wooden trapdoors are strictly prohibited -- our block logger logs every interaction with a note block and a single session on such a farm can add hundreds of thousands of entries to that log. Instead, a chest or shulker box locked with a solid block on top will produce the results desired without the data bulk.
- Users of fish farms should not be members of the fisherman job. This is cheating the economy. Anyone found to be in the job while using a farm will be fined and could lose their permissions to join that job in the future.
- Fish farms should not be within 180 blocks of any mob farms. This compromises mob spawning for the rest of the server.
- Finally, please remember that AFKing for extended periods is still not advisable. Keep it reasonable -- anything more than an hour will risk a kick and loss of loyalty points.
Despite skipping the uber-laggy 1.13 and going straight for 1.13.1, the game is still expected to be quite laggy. We will be relying on all of you to help keep that lag down and unfortunately have to introduce a few new rules governing farms. Breaking these will result in disabling or destruction of the offending farm and a possible temp ban depending on the situation.
- Farms using water mechanics must be kept small and MUST NOT receive automatic updates from ANY source. If you're turning water on and off it should be you doing it manually at reasonable intervals and only over small plots of land. Water updates are currently insanely laggy and will affect gameplay for the entire server. Breaking this rule will turn merc into a raging monster of destruction. Mob farms with water-clearing mechanics? Consider them broken. We know you'll be able to come up with alternatives.
- As always, please keep farms, including vegetable farms, at reasonable sizes. You're not trying to feed an entire country. All of those growing plants are one of the laggiest types of blocks in the game since they constantly require updates.
- Farms involving entity cramming or several entities in a small space are now banned. This one cuts deeper than most of you will initially realize -- chicken and cow farms are some of the worst offenders. Mob farms involving cramming with minecarts are also included in this ban.
- Light updates are also expected to be a mess. Please limit these. No fancy flashing floors. No crazy ticking redstone. We will be coming down a lot harder on redstone clocks, including a temp ban for repeat offenders who leave the area or afk while leaving clocks running. This is disrespectful to all of your fellow players. Find ways to run your farms without clocks.
- More than ever, it will be important to follow our rule of moderation. No over-the-top farms will be allowed. You're not impressing anyone. Your massive mob farm will not get the rates you're expecting on a server and it will only piss off everyone else. You really don't need 20 double chests of melons and pumpkins and cactus (e.g.). Instead focus your energies on creativity and building something pretty rather than laggy.
Building & mining
- Ask before building in a town or near anyone else's area. Anyone can claim an area by clearly defining a boundary (walls, fences, natural boundaries, etc.). Unless you have explicit permission, please keep builds at least 250 blocks away from your neighbors. Additionally, please limit your own claims to roughly a 250 block diameter.
- Please remember to do the vast majority of your mining in the resource worlds and assist us in reminding all members to do the same. This will help us avoid resetting the main world for as long as possible. Use /worlds for the hub. Even accidental mining outside of your claim could be considered griefing!
- All members are allowed a certain number of residences/claims and are highly advised to take advantage of these to prevent griefing/looting and in case of any area disputes. You must create a minimum 5x5x1 plot using the Residence plugin (you are given some starter cash for this reason) to ensure that the residence will appear on the live map. It is your responsibility to make sure you're not building too close to anyone.
- Players must also be active on the server for Residence protections to persist. If you are inactive more than 60 days the plugin will automatically remove the residence -- your builds will not be deleted at this point, but protections will. You can bypass this auto-cleanup by supporting the server. We reserve the right to entirely reclaim your land for the server if it has been more than 90 days since you've been online. After this point your player files also run the risk of being deleted to clear up server resources. Your membership will not necessarily be revoked, but you would need to start from scratch.
Frequently asked Questions
HALP! I keep getting kicked when trying to join the server!
If you take a gander at our third rule above, we do not allow client modifications on BadWolfMC, and we have measures in place to alert us to their presence or prevent you from joining with them in the first place. Only Optifine is allowed, so please be sure you don't have any other mods like Forge or LiteLoader enabled.
WHERE CAN I BUILD?
BadWolfMC’s spawn is protected in a ~300 block radius and there are a few other protected zones scattered around the server. Outside that, you are free to build as you please within the guidelines and as long as it isn't in another player's clearly marked territory. It is common courtesy to ask before building near another player's structures - consult our live map to find the perfect place and use the teleport pads on the spawn compass to get closest to it.
Be careful not to build in the resource worlds! Or if you do, don't make it anything you'll miss. These worlds are reset regularly and exist to prevent our main worlds from getting too torn up. You can get to these from the worlds hub at spawn (use /worlds). We prefer that you do the bulk of your mining in these worlds.
To get back to spawn from anywhere on the server, type /spawn. Guests can also use /spawn if they find themselves stuck.
If you like a challenge or you just want to do some creative building, we have SkyBlock Worlds and a creative PlotWorld on the BadWolfMC Beta Server. To get to Beta you can click on the sword in the /menu or use the portals at /worlds or /games. The Beta server also houses several of our games including the Elytra Challenges, Parkour Maps, Paintball Arenas, and a few of our PvP Arenas!
HOW DO I SET A HOME?
Homes act as "save points" to which you can teleport. Members get two homes, which can be set by entering /sethome [name], and accessed by either using the /homes command and clicking on the desired location, or by entering /home [name]. To delete a home, use the command /delhome [name].
HOW DO I PROTECT MYSELF?
BadWolfMC has two plugins that will help protect your things:
We have a chest-locking plugin that uses signs to protect any Minecraft containers (chests, furnaces, etc.) and entrances such as doors and gates. To lock any of these, place a sign either directly on the container or on the block it’s sitting on and type [Private] on the first line (if you don’t crouch when you place the sign it will fill this in automatically). Your name will show up on the second line, indicating that you have successfully locked your chest. See the tutorial here for more information on allowing others to access your chests.
The Residence plugin allows you to make residences which will automatically secure all blocks and chests inside the residence area. We highly recommend checking out the tutorial since this plugin is fairly expansive.
The killing of animals is not griefing and is not a bannable offense. Our block logging plugin can sometimes detect animal killing and may be able to restore any animals lost, but it's best to be safe and protect your livestock by keeping them in a residence with the butcher flag set to false (/res set <ResidenceName> animalkilling false). This will prevent other players from killing your animals. You might also want to set the ride flag to false, but the best protection is to keep them in an enclosed space inside your residence.
Typing /res info [resname] will give you information about a particular residence, including where it is in the world. It is a good idea to look up residences before teleporting to them.
HOW DO I MAKE MONEY?
New members start out with $200 in their account, which you can view by typing /balance or /bal. To make money, you can sell certain items at the bank or shops in the mall at spawn. You can teleport to the mall by typing /mall.
BadWolfMC also has a Jobs plugin that allows you to be paid for things like mining, fishing, hunting mobs, etc. You can find more info on available jobs in the tutorials.
HELP! I'VE BEEN LOOTED/ KILLED /GRIEFED! WHAT DO I DO?
Looting is allowed in the wilderness, but not in player bases. That said, you should still protect your stuff -- please see the "How do I protect myself?" question above. If you suspect that you're a victim of looting, please contact an admin as soon as possible. If none are on, create a ticket.
If you are killed without consent a) repeatedly and b) no items are returned, it can be a bannable offense if the offender has a "history". If you find yourself in such a situation document as much as possible including date and exact time of the incident and what, if anything, was lost.
Griefing of any player-made structure is bannable. BadWolfMC works hard to ensure the safety of your builds. If you find yourself griefed, you can create a ticket to alert the admins or post a message in the Grief Reports forum providing the XYZ coordinates where the griefing happened.
THIS SERVER IS AWESOME! HOW DO I SHOW MY SUPPORT?
First of all, thank you! Any and all support is appreciated. BadWolfMC has 2 supporter ranks, Gold and Diamond. For a certain donation amount, you will receive these ranks in-game as well as a slew of other perks, all listed on our supporter portal page. You can also use the /buy command in game to get a link to our server store.
I DIED! Will you replace my stuff?
It sucks, but it's part of the game. No, sorry, we don't replace items for any deaths, whether natural or game glitch. They're just pixels, after all, and you can easily replace them. As long as you don't teleport elsewhere you do have the use of /back to get to your death point and recover any surviving items. Then spend some time at the /endgrinder to quickly replenish your xp levels. If you need diamonds you can mine in the resource /worlds or withdraw them from the /bank if you have the funds.
If you find yourself in a situation where you are dying repeatedly and losing items you may want to step back a bit and become more acquainted with how the game works and how you can strengthen yourself to return to that place when you're more prepared, and there are always people online willing to lend a helping hand if you ask.
SOMEONE KILLED MY ANIMALS, CAN THEY BE BANNED?
Probably not. Killing animals is preventable, not reliably loggable, and therefore not immediately bannable. You can protect your farms by making sure there are walls and a roof so that a person would have to break a block to get in. You can also res the farm area and disable the "animalkilling" flag (/res set animalkilling false) to prevent the slaughter.
SO-AND-SO IS BEING RUDE AND VULGAR, CAN'T THEY BE BANNED FOR HARASSMENT?
Depends. Despite being an adult server, maturity levels do vary. First remember that anyone has the ability to /ignore any other players.
These are some examples of what IS considered harassment and can be bannable.
- Hate speech/bullying/discrimination of any kind
- Patterns of trolling or offensive speech with the intention of inciting drama
- Spamming a player with /tpa requests or private messages
- Following a player and standing in their way to prevent them from enjoying the game
- Creating a residence or private signs within somebody else's area without permission
- Repeated killing without PVP consent
I TELEPORTED TO SOMEONE'S RESIDENCE AND FELL INTO A TRAP. THEY SHOULD BE BANNED.
This isn't a question. But also, this isn't against the rules. If you teleport to someone's residence there is no guarantee that it will be in a safe location. It is your responsibility to only teleport to people/places that you trust. If you type something incorrectly and die as a result, there's no remediation. You can of course ask the owner of the residence if they could return the items, but there is no requirement to do so.
I was banned before I even joined the server?! What do I do?
We understand that it's controversial, but we do use the MCBans plugin, so a few users might find themselves banned without ever having joined the server. We made this decision because it enables us to devote our time to making the server better rather than chasing down a bunch of griefers and cheaters. We also acknowledge that immature/authoritarian server admins can ruin things for genuinely decent players, so if you feel that you were caught up in an unfair ban, please feel free to post an appeal on our forum under the "Ban Appeals" thread. These appeals will be taken seriously.